The Coordinating Director of the Suame Municipal Assembly, Johnson Nyarko, says all is set for the resumption of work on the construction of the four-tier interchange in the municipality.
The President in November 2022, cut sod for the Suame interchange project, however, the construction work has since stalled.
Speaking to JoyNews, Mr Nyarko assured that the government is fully committed to ensuring the completion of the project.
“We are on course, the project has commenced, and the contractor has moved to the site. They are at the preliminary level so they are clearing the sideways for the project to commence. So I can say that the much-awaited project is now commencing.
“Already, it’s about eight months since the president broke the ground so no further delays. The contractor is on-site,” he said on June 14.
Mr Nyarko said the assembly was ready to offer the needed assistance to the contractor to ensure that the project is completed on end time to improve urban mobility in the city and the Ashanti Region at large.
Nevertheless, he said, “what probably will delay the project is the demolition and that is why we are appealing to people to leave on their own accord.”
He stressed that should encroachers fail to vacate the premises, the assembly will be forced to evict them.
On May 19, some residents of Kumasi said the Suame site had become a hideout for hooligans.
The interchange project suffered months of setbacks after appearing in the national budget thrice.
Kumasi Municipal Assembly Mayor, Samuel Pyan, in an interview with JoyNews, said the government had already secured funding for the project.
He claims the contractors are on site.
“We have the contractor on site as we speak. They are working on some other roads that will be linked to the interchange but not the roundabout itself. There’s money for the project so we shouldn’t worry at all” he said.
But in an interview with a Kumasi-based radio station, Member of Parliament for Suame, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu said the government was yet to secure a loan for the project after IMF negotiations.
“We are done with everything. The problem now is that this project isn’t sponsored by the government of Ghana, we are seeking a loan for it from abroad but the IMF is keeping the project on hold. We are sure we will get the money by August,” he said.