The Member of Parliament for Nsawam/Adoagyiri, Frank Annoh-Dompreh, has unequivocally dismissed allegations connecting him to the destruction of campaign billboards and artworks of one of the flagbearer aspirants of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kennedy Agyapong.
According to the Majority Chief Whip, while he does not believe in the Assin Central MP’s presidential ambitions, he would never resort to such tactics to undermine his campaign.
This development comes in the wake of claims by supporters of Mr Agyapong, alleging that Annoh-Dompreh was the mastermind behind the vandalization of the said campaign materials ahead of the party’s special delegates congress.
Addressing the media in Accra on Monday, August 21, 2023, Topnews Parliamentary Correspondent Yesmeen Abubakar Tetteh reported that,Annoh-Dompreh characterized the accusations against him as a ‘rehearsed strategy’ potentially devised by individuals sympathetic to Agyapong’s campaign, but not necessarily by the MP himself.
“I want to make it clear that I had no involvement in the removal of the artwork from either billboard nor do I know who was responsible for it.”
Mr Annoh-Dompreh also underscored his deep reverence for Kennedy Agyapong and made it clear that he would never endorse activities aimed at tarnishing Agyapong’s image or campaign.
“I don’t know anything about this so-called matter and I feel a lot of pain because this is somebody that I respect, he is not an enemy and I don’t even do this to my opponents in the National Democratic Congress (NDC) who have their artworks all over Nsawam and how much more will I go about pulling down the artwork of my colleague Member of Parliament.
“This is not the first time they are throwing this allegation at me and I want to tell my colleague that I don’t have anything personal against him.”
The legislator also emphasized that he was compelled to cut short his trip due to the volume of concerned calls from Ghana regarding the situation.
When the billboard incident occurred, I was in Minneapolis, attending the National Conference of State Legislators with the Speaker of Parliament and several other delegates,” he said.
Following a thorough investigation by Annoh Dompreh, it came to light that the billboard in question was the property of an advertising firm known as Kobby Creative Limited. However, the sponsors responsible for the artwork had entered into direct negotiations with an individual distinct from the advertising company’s owner. This individual, who owned the billboard structure, ordered the removal of the artwork and directed Agyapong’s team to seek permission before reinstallation.
The Majority Chief Whip expressed his dismay at being unfairly targeted: “It pains me to be at the centre of a controversy that I have no involvement in. My reputation has been unjustly tarnished.”
He cited the barrage of insults he received on social media and even on a program on Accra-based Net 2 TV as particularly hurtful.
“Given that the truth has emerged and the situation has been rectified, I believe an apology would be appropriate,” he remarked.
Annoh Dompreh also highlighted that this was not the first time baseless accusations had been aimed at him by Ken Agyapong and his supporters.
He appealed for a more responsible approach within the party, stressing, “As colleagues within the NPP, we should exercise restraint and understanding, especially during this internal election season.”
Annoh Dompreh emphasized that his support for Vice President Bawumia’s candidacy should not lead to unwarranted allegations.
“We are all entitled to our preferences, but these allegations are causing unnecessary divisions,” he lamented.
Touching on Saturday’s Special Delegates Conference, he predicted that Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia would be massively endorsed by the delegates of the party.